Fox Wire Farm Alpacas offers a variety of fun-filled and informative classes, workshops, and activities for all ages! We post and take registrations for classes as they are developed and scheduled throughout the year. They will be posted here and announced on our Facebook and Instagram pages, so please check back frequently.
Our classes and workshops run the gamut from a variety of arts & crafts topics to hands-on, day-on-the farm working sessions with the various animals, including our wonderful alpacas! Our offerings are organized by age group, and class length varies. All materials are included in the cost of registration.
What Makes Our Classes Special?
All classes offered by Fox Wire Farm Alpacas take place on our farm and provide participants with an opportunity to experience our beautiful farm and wonderful animals in another way beyond our very popular tours and events. Class sizes never exceed 15 participants and are taught by experienced instructors focused on providing one-on-one guidance to each student. All classes are inspired by some connection to our farm, whether through the animals, fiber grown on the farm, our scenic location, or our environmental stewardship.
In particular, our Arts and Crafts classes are developed and taught in such a way that participants learn the necessary skills, while being allowed the flexibility to take the techniques they learn and create something unique and distinctive within the context of the class, influenced by their varied imaginations and aesthetics. We encourage experimentation in a comfortable and casual way so that everyone learns something and has a blast while doing it!
Classes Open for Registration
Upcoming Classes and Workshops
The following listing provides a sampling of classes we will be offering at various times during the year, dependent on the season, for different age groups.
- Felted Animal Fun – Inspired by our farm animals and your own imagination, you will learn the basics of needle felting while creating a small felted animal sculpture from our alpacas’ fiber.
- Cardboard Loom Weaving – This class will teach you how to construct a small cardboard loom on which you will weave a small purse, cell phone case, billfold, or spirit bag using alpaca yarn from our farm. In addition to learning how to warp the loom, you will learn various basic weaving techniques to create patterns and textures to complement your individual creative intent.
- Plein Air Watercolor Painting on the Point – Enjoy the great outdoors, while exploring and painting the many beautiful landscapes and water views around the farm. This class is for all experience levels and will focus on experimenting with different techniques to capture the essence of what you see and appreciate how you paint. You will be encouraged to explore both realistic and abstract approaches. Basic watercolor techniques, such as washes, glazing, wet and dry brush will be introduced along with color mixing. Participants should be comfortable walking easy dirt trails to reach some locations. All paints, brushes, and paper will be provided with the goal of completing up to 15 watercolor studies. In the event of rain, tarps and canopies will be set up to provide shelter as needed.
- A Day on the Farm – This day-long workshop is a great opportunity for young people to explore what working on a farm is like, while getting up close and personal with our animals. Activities may include but not be limited to collecting and cleaning eggs, feeding and watering various animals, learning to “muck a stall,” grooming our miniature horse and donkeys, harvesting and sowing fodder in our hydroponic barley house, feeding and watering pigs, as well as learning firsthand about the care of our alpacas. Participants will receive a Fox Wire Farm Alpacas T-shirt, a picnic lunch and healthy afternoon snack, and half a dozen eggs to take home!
- Let’s Go Batty! – This interactive STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art, and math) workshop will explore everything you’ve ever wanted to know about brown bats, including building a bathouse to take home. You will learn about the habitat and positive environmental impact of the brown bat, while dispelling all myths associated with these creatures. We also will be walking around the farm to discuss where bathouses should be located to encourage this helpful and important critter’s presence. A healthy snack will be provided.
- Basket Weaving with Alpaca Rovings: Take virgin alpaca rovings and create rug quality yarn, that will be used to create a coiled basket. Premade dyed alpaca rug yarn is available to add some color to the natural color yarn you will make.
- Navaho Stick Weaving: Take a short hike through our woods and select the sticks you will use to create a Navaho stick loom, on which you will weave a small wall hanging that incorporates found objects, beads, and alpaca rovings and yarn.
- Spinning with a Turkish Drop Spindle: This is a two-part course. The first class focuses on learning to spin a single ply of yarn from our alpaca fiber, using one or more colors of rovings. The second class then teaches you how to create multi-ply yarn which can then be used for knitting, crocheting, or weaving projects.
- Knitting Fox Wire Footies: This is a beginning knitting class to learn how to knit a basic footie pattern using our incredibly soft alpaca yarn. To reinforce the toe and heel of your footies so they last, you will learn to knit in horsehair gathered from the tails of our horses.
- Pine Needle Basket Weaving: Using Loblolly pine needles gathered on our farm, create a coiled pine needle basket of your own design.
- Drawing Animals: Spend some quality time with our animals while you explore how to draw the many animals on our farm. Emphasis will be placed on basic drawing techniques and capturing the spirit of the animals in addition to their physical appearance. We will work in both black and white and in color using a variety of dry media.
- Ukrainian Egg Decorating (Pysanky): Learn the fine art of Ukrainian egg painting using our farm’s duck and chicken eggs. These beautiful works of art make gorgeous conversation pieces and Christmas tree decorations.